SCRUMPTIOUS ORGANIC AUTUMN APPLE PIE
© Jane Quincannon Stanchich
Enjoy this sweet, natural pie made with America’s favorite fruit. I like to use organic Gala, Red Delicious, or Granny Smith apples. The natural, unrefined sweeteners and whole grain crust make this pie nutritious as well as delicious. For best results, chill all crust ingredients for one hour prior to mixing. I provide very detailed step-by-step instructions.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
3 cups gluten free baking flour or whole wheat pastry flour, sifted
One pinch sea salt
1/2 cup unrefined sunflower oil
4 Tablespoons cold apple juice
4 Tablespoons 100 % maple syrup (amber is best)
• Oil one 9-inch pie pan.
• Refrigerate all crust ingredients for one hour prior to baking time. This make a lighter flakier crust.
• Place sifted flour in a large metal mixing bowl.
• Sift in salt and mix well.
• Drizzle in cold oil, juice, and maple syrup. Quickly mix with pastry cutter or fork, briefly, just until ingredients are mixed and dough is “pebbly” in texture. Do not over-mix.
• Form dough into two balls.
• Wrap one ball and place in refrigerator.
• Place a sheet of parchment or plastic wrap on the counter.
• Set one ball of crust on the wrap.
• Place a second sheet of parchment or plastic wrap over the crust.
• With a rolling pen, roll out crust to overlap the edges of a 9-inch pie pan.
• Remove top wrap.
• Set the crust carefully into the pie pan. Let crust fall over the edge.
• Flute the edges decoratively and/or cut off any excess crust.
• Place pie pan in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
• Prick bottom of crust a few times with a fork.
• Bake for 8 minutes, remove and let cool.
• Prepare filling and second crust.
6 cups slices of cored, peeled, and thinly sliced apples
Juice of one half lemon
2 pinches sea salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 Tablespoons non-gluten baking flour or whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup brown rice syrup
1 teaspoon natural vanilla
1 Tablespoon 100 % maple syrup
• Place sliced apples in large mixing bowl.
• Squeeze on lemon juice and mix well.
• In a second bowl, mix the salt, cinnamon, and flour.
• Pour on apples and stir gently.
• Stir in the syrups and vanilla.
• Place apple filling mixture flatly and evenly in pre-baked cooled bottom crust. Fan out the apple slices.
• Remove second / top crust from the refrigerator.
• Roll out as you did first crust.
• Remove top plastic wrap.
• Cut out small slits (or shapes) on this top crust to allow air to escape.
• Place top crust over the apples in pie pan. Trim off excess crust.
• Crimp edges to join two crusts.
• You may decorate the pie by “gluing” the cutouts to the top of the crust with maple syrup (not over air holes.)
• Brush the top crust with a mixture of 2 Tablespoons maple syrup and 1 Tablespoon water to glaze the top crust. Set in refrigerator for 30 minutes before baking.
• Place filled pie pan on top of a large baking sheet to catch spills.
• Reduce oven heat to 350 degrees.
• Bake pie for 35 to 40 minutes or until filling bubbles gently and crust is light brown.
• Let pie cool thoroughly before slicing and serving.
Serving Suggestion for extra A La Mode Decadence: Serve with a scoop of Vanilla Vegan Frozen Dessert or Tofu-Almond Cream.